40/50 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
Any company can offer a warranty but that warranty can be worthless unless their is a good company to back it. Many Cedar roofing companies have come and go over the years and with them, also goes their warranty; however, Watkins Sawmills has been around for over 70 years and still going. When your buying a roof with a 50 year warranty, the longevity of the company couldn't be more important.
|Split and Resawn||18” x 1/2”||40 Years|
|Split and Resawn||18” x 3/4”||50 Years|
|Split and Resawn||24” x 1/2”||40 Years|
|Split and Resawn||24” x 3/4”||50 Years|
|Taper Sawn||18” x 5/8”||40 Years|
|Taper Sawn||24” x 3/4”||50 Years|
|Taper Sawn||24” x 5/8”||40 Years|
|Taper Sawn||24” x 3/4”||50 Years|
|Shingle||18” Perfection||40 Years|
|Shingle||24” Royal||40 Years|
This limited warranty (the “Warranty”) covers Number One Grade Watkins cedar shakes and shingles (the “warranted product”). The Warranty may be enforced only by the original home/building owner (the “original owner”).
Subject to the limitations and exclusions set forth below Watkins Sawmills Ltd. (the “Company”) warrants to the original owner that the warranted product has been manufactured, inspected, and graded in accordance with UBC 32-8 and 32-11 Standards and will remain free from leaks caused by original product defects as described in the Standards for a period of 40/50 years.
If a warranted product leaks within the applicable warranty period due to an original product defect as described in the Standards, the Company shall upon receiving a bona fide warranty claim, at its sole election, and subject to the limitations and exclusions set forth below, either (1) furnish replacement shakes, or (2) refund a pro rata portion (the ”pro rata refund”) of the amount the original owner paid for the purchase of the defective shakes (the ”purchase price”). These remedies are the exclusive and sole remedies available under the Warranty.
In the case of replacement the Company shall be responsible only for the cost of purchasing replacement product (the ”replacement costs”) up to a maximum amount equivalent to the amount of any pro rata refund that would be paid for the same warranty claim. The original owner shall be responsible for any replacement costs above this maximum amount, as well as any additional expenditures for labor or materials, such as tear-off (product removal) costs, or the cost of installing, repairing or replacing venting, metal work, flashings underlayments, fasteners or other related materials.
In the case of a pro rata refund, the amount of the refund shall be determined by multiplying the purchase price by the percentage of the warranty period remaining (determined by dividing the number of months remaining in the applicable warranty period by the total number of months in the warranty period) as of the date the Company receives the warranty claim
The warranty shall not be effective unless each and every bundle of product applied to the roof carries the Watkins Number One Grade identifying label.
The Warranty shall not apply to cedar shakes & shingles installed in Alabama, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Texas (in the counties of Angelian, Austin, Brazos, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Grimes, Hardin, Harris, Jasper, Jefferson, Orange, Liberty, Montgomery, Newton, Polk, Sabaine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Trinity, Tyler, Walker, Waller and Washington), Virginia and West Virginia unless they are preservative treated and warranted by the preservative Treater warranty which is separate from this limited warranty.
The Warranty does not cover:
1. Improper Installation. Warranted product's failure due to improper installation or application not in accordance with the specifications of the manufacturer and those described by the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau.
2. Tear-Off and Other Costs. Tear-off (product removal) costs or the cost of installing repairing or replacingventings, metal work, flashings, underlayments, fasteners or other related materials.
3. Unapproved Use. Warranted product that is used for any purpose other than roofing and siding.
4. Extended Use. Warranted product failure due to hurricane, tornado, hail, lightening, flood, fire, explosion,mudslide, earthquake, volcanic eruption, falling objects, aircraft, vehicles, accidents, riot, civil commotion, war or acts of God.
5. Failure Caused by Other Circumstances. Warranted product failure caused by settling of the home/building foundation, warping, distortion, failure of the roof deck or walls or damages caused by venting, metal work, flashings, underlayments, fasteners or other materials used in the application of the roof.
6. Neglect. Warranted product failure caused by neglect, abuse, misuse or improper upkeep and maintenance.
7. Improper Handling. Warranted product failure caused by improper handling, shipment or storage.
8. Improper Maintenance. Warranted product failure due to build up of moss, leaves, needles, branches or other debris or damage resulting from repair, power washing or attempted repair by anyone other than the Company or an authorized representative of the Company.
9. Insects or Animals. Warranted product failure caused by insects or animals.
10. Improper Ventilation or Damage. Warranted products failure caused by improper ventilation or roof drainage that is not in accordance with FHA standards.
11. Modifications. Warranted product failure due to repairs or alterations made to the roof or walls after their original installation.
12. Paints or Coatings. Warranted product failure or damages caused by paints, coatings or other solutions:
13. Other Products. Warranted product failure caused by flashings, vents, underlayments, skylights, solar heating apparatus, or other similar installations.
14. Consequential Damage. Any damage of any kind whatsoever, including damage to the interior or exterior of the home/building.
15. Factors Beyond the Company's Control. Warranted product failure caused by factors that are beyond the control of the Company. The serviceable life of the warranted product is affected by several factors such as climate index, quality of installation, maintenance, normal wear and tear, ventilation, and the type and quality of underlayments. The Company assumes no responsibility for warranted product failure or damage caused by these factors.
16. Raw and CCA Treated. Hot dipped galvanized, type 304 or 316 stainless steel fasteners are recommended. Watkins Sawmills Ltd. does not warranty fasteners.
THE WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ANY OTHER WARRANTY, ORAL OR WRITTEN, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED HEREIN, THE COMPANY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING ANY SPECIFIC QUALITIES OR CHARACTERISTICS OF ANY WARRANTED PRODUCT INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OR MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE COMPANY SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PERSONAL OR PROPERTY DAMAGES (INCLUDING DAMAGES TO THE HOME/BUILDING OR ITS CONTENTS, OCCUPANTS OR INSTALLERS) RESULTING FROM THE WARRANTED PRODUCT OR ITS INSTALLATION. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS OR THE EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEOUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE TO DETERMINE THE DETAILS REQUIREMENTS AND APPLICABILITY OF STATE LEGISLATION AND STATUTES.
The Warranty is effective upon proper warranty registration with the Company and the issuance of a warranty acknowledgment by the Company to the original owner To register the Warranty, the original owner must submit a completed warranty registration form in the prescribed form to the Company WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS after installation of the warranted product.
To make a claim under the Warranty the original owner must WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS after discovery of the alleged defect to which the claim relates send a written description of the claim along with a copy of the 40/50 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY CERTIFICATE to:
Watkins Sawmills Ltd.
PO. Box 3280 Mission, British Columbia
Canada V2V 4J4
The Company reserves the right to have a representative inspect the warranted product that is claimed to be defective under the terms of the Warranty. Any alteration, removal or repair of material claimed to be defective prior to settlement of the claim shall bar any right to seek relief under the Warranty. The Company shall be entitled to charge a service fee if the alleged defect is not covered by the Warranty.
This Warranty will be interpreted and the rights and remedies of the original owner determined by the courts of, and in accordance with the laws of, the Province of British Columbia, and the original owner agrees to the jurisdiction of the courts of such province.
This document contains the entire warranty, liability and obligation of the Company with respect to the warranted product and may not be altered or modified other than in writing signed by the Company and may not be altered by any wholesaler, dealer, roofer, contractor, representative or manufacturer.